PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Process

I thought I would show you the process of one of my paintings. I never paint directly on the board or canvas.
This is a very quick sketch, done in the car in probably about 30-45 seconds.

I had this extra piece of wood lying around. I drew my image with pencil first, and then traced it with a black sharpie.

I did a few layers of blue, turquoise, and a dark glittery blue in the background,as well as her skin tone base.

I used a stencil in the background and free handed the letters.

Next was her face. On top of the acrylic paint I used colored pencils and chalk.

I collaged the wings on and added some glitter, and then painted the baby.

Last was the black border and then I decided to add the white stripes.

It measures about 24" x 12".

I don't have the talent to just "paint without a plan". My mind works like a coloring book. I draw my image, and then fill it in.
I hope you enjoyed looking at how my painting brain works!
xo,
Chrissie

7 comments:

Karin Schueller said...

This was very cool to see. Even when I paint a simple flower... I need a plan, lol. ;) It's good to see real artists do that to sometimes!! Love the piece, it is beautiful.

ch said...

I love your step by step! You have a great process.
You make it look effortless.

The painting turned out beautiful!

Georgia Girl said...

Oh wow pretty neat to see step by step your work!

I love my fabric pics....I will share pics later when I get my camera fixed. Thanks so much!

Holly Campbell said...

I always love to see how an idea becomes a reality! Thank you for showing us the process. It is a beautiful piece, and I love the verse. . .

lori vliegen said...

my mind works like yours....i LOVE a plan (especially when it works!!)! thanks for sharing your process with us....i really enjoyed seeing how you go from a sketch to the finished product, which is fabulous by the way! :)

Sarah said...

Very neat! I love the outcome!

A Little Of A Lot said...

Love that !!!
Are you going to be making prints of it for your shop ?